Monday, April 30, 2007

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin . . .

(Little shout out there to Steve Miller and his Band, in light of the quickly passing end of the semester. Where has the time gone? :) )

What is a Ghost? Today has been a busy journal day. First, I got Laura's "Ghost" journal from Amanda at our usual drop off spot (Outside/In Cafe in Moos Tower) and then I was able to finish up the ones I had on hand and drop them off at Julie's. We lost track of time (Julie, I totally forgot that you were supposed to be cleaning for your brother's arrival, sorry!!) and got to talking about design, jobs, summer, etc. It was nice to take a break and just chat for a while, outside of class.

I heart Minneapolis [modified]I can't stress enough how much this project is teaching me about the design process. I just think it's amazing to see all the sorts of things that people are producing and so quickly; it's almost as though each page in every journal is the first draft of a project all its own. I'm glad that I'm documenting my own entries, because I think they will serve as 'creative food for thought' when I am brain-blocked -- and even better than looking at some commerical design journal, the work I will be looking at will be my own (copyright free, yeah!). I know that none of my pages are gallery worthy (yet), but I think they show how much creative energy is bottled up inside of me (and the rest of us). Impossible things [modified]

We need to lessen the pressure on ourselves to only produce things when we're sure they will be "perfect". The truth is, even when we think something's "perfect", there will be a dozen people ready to critique it and tell us how it could be better. So why not get used to producing drafts? It takes the edge off and produces some incredible work. And the less time you spend perfecting an idea in your head, the more time you have to make it better in reality.

No comments: