Friday, April 20, 2007

Prepost: the concept

Last night began the process of the traveling journals. Not quite sure how this will all work out, our class decided to embrace the challenge and put our efforts into making this idea work. The concept is simple: Ten journals travel to nine people in under 21 days. Each journal, while initially personal to the individual creator, will quickly become a product of the collective.

While concepting the idea, it was essential that these journals travel over time, rather than be created all at once, during a collective work period. Understanding the concept of time and how it relates in design is something we all seemed fascinated by, in our own ways. Using these journals as a vehicle for understanding time's importance seems like a great idea. Now let's just see how it works.

On a personal note, these journals symbolize our desire to embrace our handicraft and return to our roots as craftsman. So often we rely on technology to simplify our life and perfect our craft; yet, there is something to be said about creative work that relies on our hands and other more traditional materials. The perfectionist that I am (darn Virgos), I enjoyed the opportunity to be less than perfect and live in the moment while making my book. I wish I had a picture, but alas, it's on it's journey. Perhaps I could have others take a picture as it travels. I will look into that this evening.

Thus begins the process of the 10 traveling journals (not quite 1001) I'm excited to see where this takes us and what turns up at the end.

No comments: